WHAT IS 5S, AND WHY DO WE WANT TO DO IT?
Information presented is summarized from the book "5S for Operators" (see below)
5S represents 5 disciplines for maintaining a
visual workplace. These are foundational to Kaizen and
a manufacturing strategy based "Lean Manufacturing"
concepts. 5S is the starting point for improvement activities
that ensure our company’s survival.
The 5 disciplines are:
1. SORT -
Remove all items from the workplace that are not needed for current
operations. Leave only the bare essentials.
- Targets excess inventory, obsolete items, quality defects,
- Will use red tags, local and central red tag holding areas;
Account for discarded items
- Take before and after pictures
2. SET IN ORDER –
Arrange needed items so that they are easy to find, use and
- Consider motion economy
- Use painting, outlining and signboard strategies, Visual 5S
3. SHINE – Sweeping,
wiping-off equipment, painting and assuring everything stays clean.
- Create 5S schedules for painting
- Must create cleaning inspection checklists
- Create current and future shine targets
4. STANDARDIZE –
Method to maintain the first 3 disciplines (sort, set-in-order, shine)
- Prevention steps for clutter-suspension, incorporation, elimination
- Integrate 3S duties into regular work with 5S job
cycle charts, 5 minute 5S, visual 5S activities
5. SUSTAIN –
A top-down support of the ongoing 5S process.
- Must create the conditions to support 5S
- Allocate time
- Create awareness
- Provide a structure
- Show support
- Offer rewards and recognition
- Encourage training/participation
5S PROJECTS AGENDA
- Training on: What is 5S, and why do we want to do it? (Day 1 only)
- Define the target of our 5S project:
- Define the schedule for performing our 5S project:
- A meeting will be held prior to each day’s activities to plan and schedule what will be done (daily). The conclusions of chapters 3-7 in 5S for Operators handbook will be used to structure each day’s activities.
- A wrap-up meeting will be held to review what was
- Review and document results (at conclusion of 5S
Note: "Before" pictures should be taken on
- Celebrate conclusion of 5-s effort and results!
Note: This usually includes a picture board and a tour
||Excellent book on 5S. Very readable and complete with lots of examples.
||The ultimate reference book on 5S.
[back to 5S examples]