Texas Die Casting - Memo
Date: March 5, 2003
To: Mini-Kaisen Team (Dusty Johnson, Terry Pille, John Howze,
David Pack and Kent Frame)
Cc: Scott Daniel, John Oxton
RE: Meeting Notes from Mini Kaisen event for tapping Customer PSI Rings:
Identify the Constraint (State the Problem):
Untapped parts are getting through the process and to our customers.
Exploit (Define cause and cure)
List possible causes and potential cures:
- CAUSE 1. Untapped Parts are picked up off the floor and placed into the box with tapped parts.
- CURE 1. Make the finish box so it is obvious that the parts have been through tapping
- CURE 1. Move the box as soon as it is full to avoid unfinished parts being placed in it.
- CAUSE 2. The potential of mixed parts increases by handling the part numerous times after cast.
- CURE 2. Reduce the number of times the parts are handled
- CAUSE 3. The Operator does not tap the part before the next operation.
- CURE 3. Make a check to ensure the parts are tapped prior to being placed in the finished box
- CURE 3. Have one employee that is dedicated to the tapping operation.
Subordinate and Elevate
Decision was made to move the operation from current location to the area by Vibratory
1. Use a large box instead of small boxes on pallet to unload from trim operation.
- Will reduce time getting and handling small boxes twice - once from trim to small boxes and once from small boxes into tap load station hopper
- Move the large box from trim to Vibratory area and place on box tilter (like tap& plug)
- Note this may cause difficulty if the trimmed parts need to be sorted.
2. Set-Up the new tapping area by the Vibratory
Parts will be removed from the large box tapped, checked and placed into baskets.
Need to review possible areas in regard to process flow from large boxes on tilter, to tapper, to conveyor to vibratory.
- This will help ensure parts are checked (mount a 0.335 Ψ plug gage for rings)
- This will eliminate need to hang parts to dry (extra handling)
- This will reduce potential of unfinished parts being placed in finished boxes.
3. Assign one person to be responsible for the new area.
ACTIONS from todays meetings:
John Howze to assign one person to be responsible for the new area.
John Howze to set-up a meeting the new person, Eddie Faye and Kent Fame and Terry Pille to design area.
Move tapping unit, Set-up Box Tilter, Set-Up Conveyor,
5S Area with signs, labels, tools, production supplies & cleaning supplies
[back to 5 step examples]