Instructions for Life
From the Dalai Lama
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
- When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
- Follow the three R's: Respect for self, respect for others, responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.
- Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
- When you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change but don't let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for you life.
- In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don't bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go somewhere you've never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your needs for each other.
- Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to achieve it.
- Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
[back to quote page]